HARP OF GOLD
Grades: 3-5 | Age: 8-11 | Written by:
[Mariella is a teacher with the Middlesex County Ed Services.]
Students will experiment with sound as they create and decorate a harp box.
What You Need:
- Decorate a harp shape.
- Experiment with sound.
What You Do:
- Andrews, Jane (2004). Zoe and the magic harp. London, GB: Piccadilly Press.
- Harp or Harp CD to play in the background.
- Shoe box lids.
- Paper to cover the lids (old sheet music works great).
- Harp shapes (cut from paper).
- Note: older students can cut out their own harp shapes from paper.
- For inspiration see here: Harp Coloring Page
- Art media for decorating (paint, crayons, markers, glitter, etc.)
- Shoe boxes.
- Elastic bands.
- Salt, colored rice.
Zoe and the Magic Harp
- Students glue paper (sheet music) onto the shoe box lid.
- Students decorate their harp shape with crayons, markers, paint, etc.
- The students will glue the decorated harp shape onto the shoebox lid.
- The shoebox lid then goes onto the shoebox.
- Optional: the shoebox can be covered with sheet music as well.
- The students will then be told to put the rubber band or elastic band around the box.
- The students will be given the salt and/or colored rice and will be instructed to place some inside the box.
- Students will be encouraged to experiment by holding the box in different positions to see the different effects on the salt when plucking the elastic band.
- The students will experiment with the rubber band making different sounds.
- The students will pluck the elastic band and observe the way the salt or rice dances, responding to the vibrations.
The Fairy Queen is the only one who can play her magic golden harp; if anyone else tries, they will be frozen in time.
Harp O' Gold
A satisfying and well-crafted story of dreams and desires, told in a folktale style.
The Tranquil Harp: Improvisations for Relaxation, Meditation, Integration
The Tranquil Harp consists of eight Celtic harp improvisations for relaxation, meditation and integration.
This content has been printed from: