Architecture is Elementary: Architecture for Kids. Lessons and Activities for children in kindergarten to grade 12: KinderArt ®
ARCHITECTURE IS ELEMENTARY
Written by: Sara Gagliano [Sara is an art educator at Ryder Charter School in Miami Florida.]
Activity/Art Lesson Summary:
Students will learn the importance of Ancient Greek architecture and discover how society has been inspired by Ancient Greek art, law, literature and architecture.
- Learn the four orders of architecture: Doric, Ionic, Corinthian and Composite.
- Create their own 3d structure.
- Work together in groups.
- Create basic geometric shapes.
- Have fun learning about art history, architecture and math.
- 2 piece of card stock 18x24 sheet of paper (tag board is fine!)
- Brush and cup of water
- Water soluble markers
- Glue gun for the teacher
Art Lesson Plan:
- Teacher will introduce this lesson with a visual of the four orders: Doric, Ionic Corinthian and Composite.
- She/He will emphasize the importance of Ancient Greek architecture and explain how today's society has been inspired by Ancient Greek art, law, literature and architecture.
- Students and teacher will describe the design of each order (column.)
- Fold the 8x10 sheet of paper in half and then in half again creating 4 squares.
- Recreate each order in each square.
- Display their papers.
- Choose an order they would like to recreate on the larger sheet of paper.
- Create the order in pencil and trace in a water soluble marker.
- Paint over the marker with water. (This will make the marker line spread and look antique.)
- Recreate the same order again using a second sheet of paper.
- Trace over with marker and paint over again.
- Cut both orders out of the page with the scissors.
- Fold the second drawing in half and open it up again.
- Glue the folded order to the first drawing of the order.
- Display on a wall for all to see!
Greek and Roman Art (Off the Wall Museum Guides for Kids)
by Ruthie Knapp, Janice Lehmberg
Classical Orders of Architecture
Architecture for Kids
►More Activities Like This
© KinderArt ®
Do YOU have an idea to share?