My Pet House: Architecture for Kids. Lessons and Activities for children in kindergarten to grade 12: KinderArt ®
MY PET HOUSE
Written by: Nicolett Pretorius [Nicolett is an artist from Johannesburg.]
Activity/Art Lesson Summary:
Children will create a house for their pet using construction paper and photographs.
- construction paper (any colors)
- a strip of construction paper or a length of yarn (to act as a hook - see photo)
- a photo of a pet (or a a picture of a favorite annimal from a magazine)
- felt tip maker
Art Lesson Plan:
- Cut two equal rectangles (or squares) out of construction paper.
- On one of the rectangles, draw, then cut out, a door, being sure to only cut on three sides, leaving a "hinge" edge so that the door can open and close.
- Glue the piece of paper with the door, onto the other piece of paper you cut out earlier, keeping the door free to open and close.
- Glue a photo of the pet/animal behind where the door opens and closes.
- Cut square or rectangles out of a contrasting color of construction paper. These will become windows.
- Glue the windows onto the house. Decorate the windows with a marker.
- Cut a roof out of construction paper and glue it to the house as well.
- You can embellish the house by drawing lines for shutters, shingles or siding.
- Use a strip of construction paper (or a piece of yarn) to create a hook with which to hang the house on the wall.
►More Activities Like This
© KinderArt ®
Do YOU have an idea to share?