The Art Book Page Five, Neutral Colors: Portfolio Assessment and Art Lessons for Kids: KinderArt ®
THE ART BOOK PAGE FIVE
Written by: Maryanne Messier [Maryanne is a teacher from Janesville Wisconsin.]
This is an introduction to the neutral colors - black, brown, gray & white.
This Art Book was created to help art educators by giving them another form of assessment. So many times we as art educators find it difficult to assess a child's progress when projects are sent home. By using portfolio assessment it is easier to judge a child's progress because you can see it from beginning to end.
What You Need:
- Tempera Paint (brown, black, white)
- Paint Shirts
- Neutral Color Handout
- White construction paper 10x12
- Construction paper 12x18
What You Do:
This lesson was integrated with an animal lesson that the
students were doing in their regular class.
► Go to Page Six (Texture Bugs)
- Talk to students about new colors. Black, Brown, Gray, and white.
Explain that these colors have their own name... Neutral colors. These
colors can go with any other color in the rainbow.
- Discuss things that have neutral colors in them (pets, etc).
- Tell students that today they are going to paint a picture about
animals using only neutral colors. Also explain that they are going to
have to make one of the neutral colors..gray.
- After students have gotten their supplies and are ready, you can
start your lesson. Tell students to take a little black and a lot of
white and mix them together. What color did they get? (All should say
- Let them begin painting. Remind them to rinse their brushes before
they use another color.
- Once they have finished painting they need to clean up. This will
allow the Tempera to dry a little, before they glue it to the paper.
- After the paint has dried (sometimes you may need to let it set
overnight). They need to glue their painting to the 12x18 construction
paper. They take the Neutral Color Handout and glue it either at
the top or the bottom of the page.
- You have another completed page in your art book.
Related Lessons and Resources:
► Neutral Color Handout
► The Art Book - Index
Teaching Art to Young Children ages 4-9
by Robert Barnes
►More Activities Like This
© KinderArt ®
Do YOU have an idea to share?