VISUAL ARTS STANDARDS (USA)
National Standards have been established for arts education in Dance, Music, Theater, and Visual Arts. National Visual Arts Standards are as follows.
Understanding and applying media, techniques, and processes
- Students know the difference between materials, techniques and processes.
- Students describe how different materials, techniques and processes cause different responses.
- Students use different media, techniques and processes to communicate ideas, experiences and stories.
- Students use art materials and tools in safe and responsible manner.
Using knowledge of structures and functions
- Students know the differences among visual characteristics and purposes of art in order to convey ideas.
- Students describe how different expressive features and organizational principles cause different responses.
- Students use visual structures and functions of art to communicate ideas.
Choosing and evaluating a range of subject matter, symbols and ideas
- Students explore and understand prospective content for works of art.
- Students select and use subject matter, symbols and ideas to communicate meaning.
Understanding the visual arts in relation to history and cultures
- Students know that the visual arts have both a history and specific relationships to various cultures
- Students identify specific works of art as belonging to particular cultures, times and places.
- Students demonstrate how history, culture and the visual arts can influence each other in making and studying works of art.
Reflecting upon and assessing the characteristics and merits of their [a student's own] work and the work of others
- Students understand that there are various purposes for creating works of visual art.
- Students describe how people's experiences influence the development of specific artworks.
- Students understand there are different responses to specific artworks.
Making connections between visual arts and other disciplines
- Students understand and use similarities and differences between characteristics of the visual arts and other arts disciplines.
- Students identify connections between the visual arts and other disciplines in the curriculum.
For more information, visit the National Art Education Association website.
►More Activities Like This
© KinderArt ®
Do YOU have an idea to share?