PAPER PLATE SUNFLOWERS
Level: ECE, Primary
Grades: PreK - Gr 2 | Age: 2 - 8yrs | Written by: Karen Rowley
[Karen is a teacher at St. Norbert Pre-K in Orange, California]
Students will use paper plates as a canvas as they create bright, colorful sunflowers.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- paper plates
- unshelled sunflower seeds
- brown paint mixed with glue
- yellow paint
- green construction paper
Bring in real sunflowers for the class to see. Children may make their own sunflowers.
This activity makes a wonderful bulletin board display and provides concrete examples of the parts of a sunflower.
- Children will paint a paper plate with yellow paint and let dry
- Children will paint the center of the paper plate with brown paint mixed with glue.
- While the paint/glue mixture is still wet, children will put unshelled sunflower. Let dry.
- Children may cut stems and leaves for their sunflowers.
We have made a variation on this activity and added the child's picture.
Add to a garden theme, a picnic theme, or science theme.
►More Painting Lessons
This content has been printed from: