CLAY GARGOYLES and GROTESQUES
Level: Middle School
Grades: 6-8 | Age: 11-14yrs | Written by: Joann Trimarco
[Joann is a teacher at Grace Lutheran School in Queens, New York.]
Students can make gargoyles using self-hardening clay.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- 9"x 12" drawing paper
- self-hardening clay
- pictures of Gargoyles from the internet and the library
- After a lecture and discussion on what gargoyles are the students created their own designs.
- They had to draw sketches of their creations for homework, then they had to hand sculpt their forms in clay.
- I demonstrated different techniques they could use; coils, slabs, balls etc.
- Their creative juices began to flow and the result was very unique.
- There were tongues sticking out, horns coming out of heads and huge eyes!
Kent's Gargoyle Page
Walter S. Arnold - Stonecarver
This content has been printed from: