How to Make Maracas with Balloons and Paper Mache Lesson Plans: Sculpture Activities and Lessons for Children and Kids: KinderArt ®
Written by: Lillian Foxx [Lillian is a student in Winona, MN]
Learn how to make maracas using balloons and paper mache.
- Social Objective: Taking turns.
- Emotional Objective: Pleasure in discovery and accomplishment.
- Physical Objective Use of fine motor, large motor, coordination, tactile experience.
- Cognitive Objective Deciding where to put newspaper squares (spatial intelligence).
What You Need:
- flour (best if wheat-based but can use any kind)
- unsharpened pencils
- masking tape
What You Do:
- Cover table with newspaper.
- Pour flour into bowl in middle of table.
- Pour in water (enough to make thin, oatmeal consistency).
- Everyone put hands in and mix.
- Pick a balloon (already inflated).
- Dunk balloon in paste, covering it completely, or use hands to smear paste on.
- Put balloon on table, wipe off hands.
- Paper with newspaper squares (1 in x 1 in).
- After finishing two-three layers of newspaper, leave to dry.
- Next session: fill maracas with seeds or rice.
- Attach pencil to base with masking tape (using thin strips).
- Paint entire maraca, including masking tape and leave to dry.
- Play maracas!!!
►More Activities Like This
© KinderArt ®
Do YOU have an idea to share?