Grades: K-2 | Age: 5-8yrs | Written by: Deb Barone
[Deb is an art educator at Myerstown Elementary School, Myerstown, PA]
Making a paper sandwich, what a fun way to teach children about collage.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- Construction paper
- Scrap materials
- Give the children long rectangular strips of paper on which
to build their sandwiches.
- Have precut brown construction paper "bun" shapes for them to glue at either end of the strip.
- Instruct the children to chose from the scrap materials to
fill in the space between the buns, building a sandwich layer
- Some of the materials we have used are ribbon, felt,
burlap, crepe paper, yarn, macaroni, and stickers.
- The children enjoy using materials for purposes other than the way they
were intended and get a good feel for one meaning of collage.
This content has been printed from: