WHIMSICAL WOODEN SANTA
Level: ECE, Primary, Junior, Middle School, High School
Grades: PreK and up | Age: 2yrs and up | Written by: Amanda Formaro
[Amanda is the crafty, entrepreneurial mother of four children.]
Make a cute holiday craft using scrap bits of wood.
This rosy-cheeked Santa Claus can be put together in less than an hour. These are wonderful accents for your dinner table or fireplace mantel.
What You Need:
What You Do:
- triangular block of wood
- acrylic paint in black and pink
- muslin material, enough to cover entire piece of wood
- holiday material scrap for hat
- gold accent holiday ribbon
- gold button
- white curly doll hair
- small holly & berry leaves
- blush & blush brush (make up)
- white craft glue
- textured snow paint
- small paintbrushes
- Begin by sanding all rough edges around the wood to eliminate the possibility of
painful splinters while working.
Cover the entire piece of wood with muslin
material, gluing as you go and keeping seems in the back (and to a minimum).
- Use the holiday material and wrap it around Santa's "head" to fashion his cap.
- Use craft glue to tack down as you work your way around, keeping seams in the
- Use ribbon to create the cap rim, again, keeping seams in the back, gluing
as you go.
- Use blush brush to gently add blush to Santa's cheeks.
- Dot on eyes with small
paintbrush and black paint, dot on nose with pink paint.
- Glue the holly leaves & berries in the bottom corner before adding the beard
- Glue the doll hair in place to crate the beard, working small sections at
a time to ensure full coverage. Fill in empty sections where necessary.
- To finish, glue gold button to the top of the cap and add a few flecks of
textured snow paint to the holly berries and leaves.
This content has been printed from: